About Me

My photo
Hi, everyone… My name is Yenifer. I am proudly Dominican. I’m a sophomore at Rhode Island College. I’m working on a B.A. in Sec. ED. with a concentration in Spanish and also an endorsement in Middle School (Math). About my personality I can say I’m very shy. I consider myself an honest and responsible person. My priorities have always been my education and my family. I like to read, listen to music and love food (Portuguese and Mexican are my favorites).

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Aria

Aria
Richard Rodriguez

Rodriguez argues that the best way to help an immigrant student (ESL student) succeed in American society is by only teaching him/her using the “public language” which is English, and not the student’s “private language” which in others words is his/her own native language (L1).
• “What I needed to learn in school was that I had the right – and the obligation – to speak the public language of los gringos.”
• “Fortunately, my teachers were unsentimental about their responsibility. What they understood was that I needed to speak a public language.”
• “With great tact the visitors continued, ‘Is it possible for you and your husband to encourage your children to practice their English when they are home?”
The three quotes above express that even though Rodriguez was just a child he understood he needed to learn speak English so he could keep progressing at school and don’t feel isolated when he was surrounding by English speakers. He thought it was his teachers’ responsibility to help him had fluency with the “public language” and he seemed to be glad about that. The last quote shows the way his teachers helped him. They asked Rodriguez’s parents to help him and his siblings practice English at home.
Personally, I found Rodriguez’s essay very interesting and I agree with his argument. As I’m an immigrant and an ESL student, I’ve been through mostly the same situations Rodriguez had to face during his childhood and his attempt to fit in a society of English speakers. From my own experiences, I can say it is hard when you try to be part of a group or society and there’s an obstacle on your way, in this case would be the language, which keep you back. Unfortunately, my parents neither my teacher put any pressure on me so I practice more my English (my L2). Still today I’m struggling with my English and this is because I don’t speak any English at home but just Spanish. The only time I use my English is at school.
After analyzing Rodriguez’s argument I came to the conclusion that what he states is totally right. The best way and ESL student can achieve to have fluency when speaking American public language is if he/she only speaks English. Then when the student accomplishes to manage the public language he/she can start using both his/her second language and native language.

3 comments:

  1. Really powerful personal connections to this piece, Yennifer. DO you also see a sacrifice in giving up the L1? Is it worth it, in your experience?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see it as a SACRIFICE (in the total meaning of the word) because one doesn't have to completely give up the L1 but just practice more the L2. For example, Rodriguez and his parents weren't ask to give up their L1 but TO PRACTICE MORE the L2 at home. I think there was a miss understanding. Besides, his parents could speak a little big of English so there was still communication between them. My case is a little big different from Rodriguez's. I came to this country when I was 14 so it's been harder for me to learn American "public language". For a kid, like Rodriguez, it would be easier. I've had to put-in more of me (effort) to learn my L2 and still have no fluency. Personally, I think practicing more my L2, NOT GIVING UP, would get me farther in this country. It's worth it because learning my L2 can opens many doors for me. Immigrants come to this country to get a better life and succeed, that's what i came here for. But to accomplish that in USA, one HAVE to SPEAK ENGLISH. The Big question is, HOW DOES A PERSON GET TO HAVE FLUENCY IN A L2 IF HE/HER DOESN'T PRACTICE IT?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so smart about this issue. you do have fluency in your L2... but it still may not be as comfortable for you as Spanish. Yes, you are so right about the practice. THe more you speak, the easier it gets. Hmmmm... maybe that means you should try to talk in class sometimes? :) Just teasing you. I know you have been doing great work in small groups. Try the big group when you feel ready to take the risk. :)

    ReplyDelete