About Me

My photo
Hi, everyone… My name is Yenifer. I am proudly Dominican. I’m a sophomore at Rhode Island College. I’m working on a B.A. in Sec. ED. with a concentration in Spanish and also an endorsement in Middle School (Math). About my personality I can say I’m very shy. I consider myself an honest and responsible person. My priorities have always been my education and my family. I like to read, listen to music and love food (Portuguese and Mexican are my favorites).

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us

Linda Christensen


Christensen argues that children cartoons and media have a big influence in children since a very early stage. This is known as a “secret education” which with the pass of the time makes one become in a person that oneself don’t even know.

• “When we read children’s books, we aren’t just reading cute little stories, we are discovering the tools with which a young society is manipulated.” (Pg. 126).
• “The impact of racism begins early. Even in our preschool years, we are exposed to misinformation about people different from us.” (Pg. 126).
• Children’s cartoons, movies, and literature are perhaps the most influential genre ‘read’.” (Pg. 127).
• “My student don’t want to believe that they have been manipulated by children’s media or advertising.” (Pg. 128).
• “Indians in ‘Looney Tunes’ are also depicted as inferior human beings. These characters are stereotypical to the greatest degree, carrying tomahawks, painting their faces, and sending smoke signals as their only means of communication. …We begin to imagine Indians as savages with bows and arrows and long black braids. There’s no room in our minds for knowledge of the difference between tribes, like the Cherokee alphabet or Celilo salmon fishing.”

The quotes above reflect the way we’re all manipulated since a very early stage in our lives by the media. And personally, I have to admit the media plays a big role in my life. Since I was a kid, I remember playing with Barbie Dolls and all I wanted was to look like them, be skinny, and have long beautiful hair, etc. but since I was a little fat the influence Barbie Dolls had in my life were not good at all, my self-esteem was really low and even today I’m dealing with that problem. But besides toys and children’s cartoons, we are exposed to movies, TV shoes, music videos, and all kind of media, that have bad influence in one’s life. As one of the quotes mentioned above says, we are being manipulated by the media.

1 comment:

  1. Great points here. I know that Barbie culture can be so hard to escape! Say a little more about the quotes you chose... what is christensen getting at in them?

    ReplyDelete