About Me

My photo
Hi, everyone… My name is Yenifer. I am proudly Dominican. I’m a sophomore at Rhode Island College. I’m working on a B.A. in Sec. ED. with a concentration in Spanish and also an endorsement in Middle School (Math). About my personality I can say I’m very shy. I consider myself an honest and responsible person. My priorities have always been my education and my family. I like to read, listen to music and love food (Portuguese and Mexican are my favorites).

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Citizenship in School:

Reconceptualizing Down Syndrome

Christopher Kliewer

The author argues that all children deserve the same education, it doesn't matter if he/her has any health or physical condition. What matters is education equity.

• "I started to notice that I didn't like the classes I was taking called special education. I had to go through special ed. almost all my life. I wanted to take other classes that interested me. I had never felt so mad, I wanted to cry. (Peterson, 1994, p.6)

It is sad that many children are placed in classes that they don’t even want to take just because they are considered to be disable. Sometimes these kids are placed in classes below their educational level. How can they keep learning if the opportunity is not given to them?

• “How absurd to be judged by others at all, especially by those who have never experienced a disability or who are unwillingly providing us with support or who don’t listen to the voices we have.” (p. 72)

This is totally true. I think no one can determine the capacity of a person, even if he/she has any disability, but the person himself. As the quote states, nobody who hasn’t go through something similar as these individuals with Down syndrome, can’t comprehend how it feels neither determine the educational level they are able to acquire.

• “If you came into the room and were told there was a retarded child in the class, a child with special needs, I don’t think you would pick Lee out. The kids really agree that he’s as capable as they are. Intellectually the same.” (p. 83)

When children with any disability are isolated, I mean placed in a specific classroom all together, and separated from those who are considered to be normal and capable, this creates a serious problem. The opportunity of having the same education as all others kids is taken away from them.

3 comments:

  1. I can see that this piece really resonated with you. Did you like the film, too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really like the film and while watching it i was rembering all the cases i witnessed when i was in high school. i was lucky i wasn't placed in a special class because i didn't speak english, thanks God ESL programs exist. But because of my prego state, i was really emotional and had to control myself in order to no cry in from of the others......Something i noticed from the film is that the most affected are lower class and immigrant children. and this happens because most of them don't have access to the information out there about IEP or because they can't speak the public language.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry it made you cry! :) But I am glad it touched you. Did you enjoy having chunks of it in Spanish, too?

    ReplyDelete